Moroccan Chicken Couscous is a delightful combination of
tender chicken, fluffy couscous, and a burst of aromatic spices. This exotic dish offers a harmony of flavours that will transport your taste buds straight to the vibrant streets of Morocco.
Chicken thighs, olive oil, onion, garlic cloves, ground cumin,
ground coriander, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground
turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, chicken broth, couscous, vegetable broth or water, one lemon, fresh cilantro or parsley,
carrots, zucchini, red bell pepper, canned chickpeas, apricots, tomatoes, raisins.
· In a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
· Add the chicken pieces to the pot, stirring frequently, until they are lightly browned on all sides.
· In a small bowl, mix the ground cumin, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Sprinkle this spice mixture over the chicken and onions,
stirring well to coat evenly.
· Pour in the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
· Add the chickpeas, chopped dried apricots, and raisins to the pot.
Simmer for an additional 10 minutes to allow the flavours to meld together.
· While the stew is simmering, prepare the couscous according to the package instructions. Typically, you’ll bring water to a boil, remove it from heat, stir in the couscous, cover, and let it sit for about 5 minutes before fluffing it with a fork.
· In a separate pan, sauté the diced zucchini, carrots, bell peppers, and frozen peas in a bit of olive oil until tender-crisp. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
· To serve, spoon a generous portion of couscous onto a plate or shallow bowl. Ladle the Moroccan chicken stew over the couscous and top with the sautéed vegetables.
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and cilantro.